Megachurches form the ecclesial context within which a large segment of evangelical Christianity is nurtured. America contains more than 1,000 megachurches, defined as a church with an average weekly attendance of 2,000 or greater, and they also play a substantial role in the evangelical culture of such countries as South Korea. Some of evangelicalism’s most important institutions, such as Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church network, are megachurches. The development of a megachurch culture has, however, produced a significant backlash, with critics often railing against theological superficiality, vapid worship music, and a seeker-sensitive, consumeristic ethos. Church growth strategies that emphasize upward movement in attendance figures over community cohesion and discipleship formation have also come in for criticism.
- Evangelical Giving Goes Up, Despite Economic WoesReport: Nonprofits saw a sizable increase in donations, while many megachurches struggled.简体中文繁體中文
- Christian Celebrity Isn’t a Problem to Fix, But an Eye to Gouge OutKatelyn Beaty’s critique of evangelical fame-worship is wise but overly tame.
- New Zealand Authorities Investigating Nation’s Largest MegachurchArise Church leadership said it was going to “listen and learn,” but its senior pastors tried to stop publication of a report on allegations of intern abuse.
- Search Firm: No Systemic Abuse at Saddleback Successor’s Former ChurchElders stand by incoming pastor Andy Wood after follow-up review.
- Charlie Dates Returns to the Chicago Church that Shaped HimWhile continuing to lead Progressive Baptist, the 41-year-old pastor was named the successor to James Meeks at Salem Baptist Church, one of the city’s biggest congregations.
- Court Dismisses Suit Against Platt’s McLean Bible ChurchWhile the DC-area congregation celebrates getting to move forward, critics continue to accuse leadership of a liberal takeover.
- Saddleback Successor Cleared of Allegations of Overbearing LeadershipSearch firm Vanderbloemen reviewed texts, emails, and videos but did not talk to former staffer who made accusations against Andy Wood.
- Mexican Megachurch Compares Pastor Jailed for Sex Abuse to the Apostle PaulUPDATE: The leader of La Luz del Mundo was sentenced to 17 years for sexual offenses against minors he groomed in the congregation.
- Willow Creek Cuts Staff Budget by $6.5 MillionDuring the pandemic, just a couple years after Bill Hybels’s resignation, attendance at the Chicago-area megachurch fell by half.
- Brian Houston Steps Aside as Hillsong Global Senior PastorFounder takes leave of absence for 2022 in order to prepare for trial on charges that he concealed alleged child abuse by his father.