Barack Obama is the 44th president of the United States. He was a Democratic U.S. Senator from Illinois and served three terms in the Illinois Senate. As president, he has made many policy moves related to health care, the economy, abortion, same-sex marriage, religious freedom, and other issues. Obama was baptized at the Trinity United Church of Christ in 1988 and an active member for many years. He formally parted with Trinity in 2008 after statements by Trinity's Rev. Jeremiah Wright became public. During his presidential term, he sought spiritual guidance and prayer from pastors like T.D. Jakes and Joel Hunter. He and his wife, Michelle, have two children.
Q&A: Barack Obama
"I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ."
Interview by Sarah Pulliam and Ted Olsen|
Preach and Reach
Despite his liberal record, Barack Obama is making a lot of evangelicals think twice.
John W. Kennedy|
God's Will in the Public Square
Democratic Senator Barack Obama gets it mostly right.
A Christianity Today Editorial|
- Quick To ListenEpisode 268|1 hr 7minRick Warren Mastered the Formula for Suburban Church GrowthWhy the “Purpose Driven” pastor connected with Southern Californians.Morgan Lee|
- Biden Brings Back White House Faith Partnerships OfficePresident turns to Obama-era leader and his evangelical campaign outreach director to lead agency in efforts to “heal, unite, and rebuild.”Jack Jenkins and Adelle Banks – Religion News Service|
- Reagan, Clinton, Bush, and Obama All Cited One Puritan Sermon to Explain AmericaHow did a forgotten colonial text become a national origin story?Interview by Ryan Hoselton |
- The Cost of Religious FreedomWhen advocacy for persecuted Christians harms their fellow believers.Jayson Casper|
- The 10 Celebrities Evangelicals Trust Most and Least on PoliticsSurvey ranks political endorsements from Trump to Oprah to Jerry Falwell Jr.Kate Shellnutt|
- Billy in the Oval Office: A Story of Faith, Friendship, and TemptationJournalist Nancy Gibbs recalls Graham's relationship with six decades of American presidents.Interview by Timothy C. Morgan|
- Stephen Mansfield: Why So Many Conservative Christians Wanted a ‘Pagan Brawler’ in the White HouseAnd how their choice of Trump has affected the church since last year’s election.Interview by Samuel D. James|
- Joel Hunter Is Done Pastoring His Orlando Megachurch(UPDATED) Obama’s spiritual adviser explains why his gifts are at 'their highest potential' but his call to local churches like Northland is ‘fulfilled.’Kate Shellnutt|
- Quick To ListenEpisode 64|36minWhat Iraqi Christians Want the American Government to KnowWhat are the history and political priorities of this tiny minority community?CT Editors |
- Quick To ListenEpisode 59|42minWhy Reinhold Niebuhr Still Haunts American PoliticsThe Christian political theologian continues to inspire—and confound—those on the right and the left.CT Editors |