More than 500 years after his birth, John Calvin continues to influence the church today. A prominent theologian during the Protestant Reformation, his Institutes of the Christian Religion is still widely regarded today, and Calvinism continues to retain an enthusiastic following.
John Calvin: Comeback Kid
Why the 500-year-old Reformer retains an enthusiastic following today.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Calvinism is making a comeback—and shaking up the church.
Calvin: Man for the Mainline
Reformer's 500th birthday draws out diverse cast of admirers.
- Should We Cancel Luther and Calvin?The Reformers believed in burning heretics. Making sense of that grave mistake means looking first at ourselves.N.T. Wright|español
- Long Sermons Seem Longer in the Pews, Study FindsBut it’s not a new problem. Just ask Martin Luther.Daniel Silliman|
- Glad Tidings Come in Times of TerrorThe nativity story is the advent of God’s love to a fear-filled world.Jennifer Powell McNutt|
- If a Social Issue Matters to God, the Church Should Be Praying About ItToo often, our practices of intercession are thin to nonexistent. The Reformed tradition shows us how to revive them.John Witvliet|
- Meritocracy Is a Betrayal of the Protestant Ethic, not a FulfillmentWhy the “rhetoric of rising” is incompatible with Christian views of grace and the common good.Daniel Rentfro|
- John Piper Goes Further Up and Further Into the Doctrine of God’s ProvidenceHis latest book leans on the Reformed tradition while speaking to 21st-century questions.Jason G. Duesing|español简体中文繁體中文
- You’re Probably Worshiping a False GodChristians are still idol worshipers. We're just less honest about it.Derek Rishmawy|español
- The Bible Makes a Fashion StatementTheologian Robert Covolo encourages Christians to take matters of dress and style more seriously.Interview by Whitney Bauck|
- John Calvin: Justice Is a Form of WorshipAccording to the Reformer, pursuing the good of others is a way to love God.Kevin P. Emmert|
- Prayer amid PandemicEpisode 2|15minEpidemic Tore Through John Calvin’s Geneva Five TimesThe Reformer's theology informed his compassion for the afflicted.Morgan Lee|