The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
This intelligent and informative book is the only insider story from one of the leading lights of the more progressive wing of the emerging movement, the former national coordinator of Emergent Village.
The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
Kimball, who gets credit for first using emerging in a book title to describe the movement, articulates the nitty-gritty of what goes on among these Christians, and does so from an evangelical basis.
Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures
A richly documented survey of what emergent churches believe and practice, this book sketches emerging congregations around the globe.
Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications
Carson offers the first thorough critique of the movement; he demonstrates where some have wandered from biblical revelation and focuses on the postmodern threat to the biblical concept of truth.
Why We're Not Emergent: (By Two Guys Who Should Be)
This hard-hitting analysis of the liberal tendencies of some in the emerging movement is theologically informed, biblically alert, and pastorally concerned
Copyright © 2009 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Christianity Today has a special section on the emergence of the emerging on our site.
Scot McKnight also wrote "Five Streams of the Emerging Church," "The Ironic Faith of Emergents," and "McLaren Emerging."
Why We're Not Emergent won first place in the church/pastoral leadership category of Christianity Today's 2009 book awards. The Emerging Church won first place in the church/pastoral leadership category of Christianity Today's 2004 book awards.
Previous Top 5 lists have featured Islam, loss, Calvin, spiritual memoirs, neglected doctrines, spiritual memoirs, marriage, Lent, fiction books for the soul, managing your money, devotionals, how character shapes belief, food, Atheism, China, Presidents, World Christianity, Ancient-Future Faith, the Civil Rights Era, Social Justice, Church History, Popular Culture, the Civil War, Apologetics, Atheism, and Sex.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingTim Keller Practiced the Grace He PreachedIn an increasingly divisive world, the pastor theologian’s legacy was walking the higher road—the one less traveled.españolPortuguêsFrançais简体中文한국어Indonesian繁體中文русский
- From the MagazineOur Worship Is Turning Praise into Secular ProfitWith corporate consolidation in worship music, more entities are invested in the songs sung on Sunday mornings. How will their financial incentives shape the church?español
- RelatedFive Streams of the Emerging ChurchKey elements of the most controversial and misunderstood movement in the church today.
- Editor's PickA Tale of Two New York City PastorsOne formed me. The other entertained me.