Subscribe to this Podcast:
In today’s episode Heather sits down with Jonathan Evans to talk about his latest book, Fighting Your Battles: Every Christian’s Playbook for Victory. In this conversation Jonathan describes a God who has often “unsettled” him. What do we do when life brings us conflict and disappointment instead of comfort and security? It starts, Jonathan says, by realizing that Christian maturity is not independence but dependence.
Jonathan, the son of Tony Evans and his late wife Lois, shares openly about his mother’s long battle with terminal illness and his family’s struggle with grief. He reflects on how he’s witnessed the truth of his mother’s words to him before she passed. She told him, “Your greatest ministry will come out of your greatest misery.”
In this episode, we also visit with college student and Viral Jesus intern Haley Hoskins for this week’s #Blessed. Heather and Haley talk about a new study from the CDC that says 45 percent of high school students were persistently hopeless in 2021, they were unable to engage in regular activities. Heather asks Haley what role she thinks social media plays in her generation’s increased struggles with depression and anxiety. Make sure to let us know your thoughts by typing in ViralJesusPod on Instagram or Twitter and using #Blessed.
Jonathan Evans is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary with a master’s degree in Christian Leadership. He is a mentor, author, speaker, and former NFL fullback who serves as the chaplain of the Dallas Cowboys and co-chaplain of the Dallas Mavericks. As part of his commitment to developing the next generation of devoted Christian leaders, he travels the country speaking at churches, conferences, men’s events, banquets, and student-athlete events. Follow Jonathan and learn more about his journey on Facebook @JonathanBlakeEvans, and Instagram @JonathanBlakeEvans.
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of eight books, including,I’ll See You Tomorrow, and It’s Not Your Turn. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Producer: Loren Joseph
Associate Producer: Azurae Phelps
Mix Engineer: Alex Carter
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineJohn 3:16: So Loved, So FamiliarWe need fresh eyes for our faith’s basic teachings, no matter how long we’ve studied the Bible.简体中文繁體中文
- RelatedCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- Editor's PickThailand Arrests 63 Chinese Christians Seeking AsylumThe “Mayflower church” members, who first sought refuge in South Korea, fear repatriation to China after finding sponsors in Texas.