Broken Planet: If There’s a God, Then Why Are There Natural Disasters and Diseases?
Sharon Dirckx (IVP)
We often refer to natural disasters as “acts of God,” a fact that helps explain why skeptics of Christian faith invoke them as stumbling blocks to belief. In Broken Planet, Sharon Dirckx of the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics explores how to defend God’s goodness in light of events like tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes, famines, and pandemics. The book also includes extensive firsthand testimonies from a range of believers, including rescue workers, local residents, and other eyewitnesses.
Amazing Grace: The Life of John Newton and the Surprising Story Behind His Song
Bruce Hindmarsh and Craig Borlase (Thomas Nelson)
This year marks the 250th anniversary of the writing of “Amazing Grace,” John Newton’s iconic hymn. To mark the occasion, historian Bruce Hindmarsh and writer Craig Borlase have teamed up to write what they call a “dramatized biography” of the former slave-ship captain, one “with the feel of a film or a life play.” Like the song that inspires it, Amazing Grace summons readers to consider the arc of redemption in their own lives.
Engaging the Old Testament: How to Read Biblical Narrative, Poetry, and Prophecy Well
Dominick S. Hernández (Baker Academic)
For many believers, the Old Testament seems bafflingly inconsistent with the picture of God we receive from the New Testament. This can tempt us to neglect it, downgrade it, or read it selectively. Dominick S. Hernández, a professor at Biola University’s Talbot School of Theology, wants to correct these tendencies in this survey of Old Testament interpretation. “If Christians … ignore or renounce attributes of the revealed character of God (in either the Old or the New Testament),” he writes, “then we necessarily disregard parts of the plan of redemption.”
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingA Tale of Two New York City PastorsOne formed me. The other entertained me.
- From the MagazineI Find Comfort in the Divine WarriorA surprising psalm changed my view on God’s presence during seasons of trial.
- RelatedThe Russell Moore ShowEpisode 53|49minRainn Wilson Tells Me Where I’m Wrong on SpiritualityThe actor and writer hopes today’s young people will give faith a chance.
- Editor's PickThe Spiritual Battle of Teen Screen TimeKids’ addictions to their phones isn’t a legislative issue. It’s a discipleship one.