A few classics from Christianity Today opining about Halloween and several profiles of groups who see the holiday as an opportunity for ministry.
D. Bruce Lockerbie comes out against Halloween. “Why do we go along with it? Because it’s tradition? That isn’t enough of a reason.”
Then-president of Christianity Today, Harold Myra concludes the opposite. “Yes, there are decidedly Christian ways in which we can celebrate Halloween.”
An attempt at answering this vexing question: “What is a United Methodist minister doing at this Samhain rite with a group of people about whom the Bible seems to give only the most horrendous invectives?”
A thoughtful look at how Christians should respond to the growth of neopaganism.
What’s it like to evangelize to Wiccans?
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- RelatedI Was a New-Age Healer. Then I Realized I Wasn’t the One Doing the Healing.Why a Reiki master renounced her craft to follow Jesus.
- Editor's PickPresbyterian School Mourns 6 Dead in Nashville ShootingVictims include the head of school and the 9-year-old daughter of the church’s lead pastor.español