India: In 1999, dozens of Hindu extremists attacked Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons in their sleep, burning them alive. Yet his widow, Gladys, forgave the attackers and continued the couple’s ministry to lepers. In November, she received the prestigious Mother Teresa Memorial International Award for Social Justice. Previous winners include the Dalai Lama, Malala Yousafzai, and “Machine Gun Preacher” Sam Childers.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- RelatedHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- Editor's PickLiberty Appoints Retired General, Air Force Chaplain as New PresidentAlumnus Dondi E. Costin steps in to lead years after Jerry Falwell Jr.’s scandal.