Subscribe to this Podcast:
In this episode, Heather is joined by Ekemini Uwan and Michelle Higgins of the Truth’s Table podcast to discuss what it’s like to be a Black Christian woman today. They dive all the way in on topics like colorism, singleness and divorce, racial justice, theology, and nearly every hot button issue Black women may find themselves at the intersection of when navigating their life and their faith.
Ekemini and Michelle will help you see how faith can truly be the bedrock of your life, all while being honest about the difficulties each of them have experienced. This conversation will have you laughing, crying, and thinking critically.
Ekemini Uwan, and Michelle Higgins, are two of the authors of Truth’s Table: Black Women’s Musings on Life, Love and Liberation.
Ekemini is a public theologian who received her MDiv from Westminster Theological Seminary. Uwan is a contributing member of the Aspen Institute’s Racial Justice and Religion Commission. She has appeared on MSNBC and NPR. Her writings have been published in The Atlantic, The Washington Post, and HuffPost BlackVoices, and her insights have been quoted by CNN, The New York Times, TheWashington Post, and The New Yorker.
Michelle Higgins is senior pastor of Saint John’s Church (The Beloved Community) in St. Louis, where she co-founded Faith for Justice, a collective of Christian activists, and serves as board chair of Action St. Louis, a political home for Black communities in the St. Louis region.
Mentioned in This Episode
“The Hidden Figures of the Church” by Kathryn Freeman, Christianity Today
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of seven books, including It’s Not Your Turn and Confessions of a Christian Wife. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Producer: Loren Joseph
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Associate Producer of CT Podcasts: Azurae Phelps
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingChristian and Missionary Alliance Will Ordain WomenMinisters may now use the title “pastor” regardless of gender.
- From the MagazineOur Worship Is Turning Praise into Secular ProfitWith corporate consolidation in worship music, more entities are invested in the songs sung on Sunday mornings. How will their financial incentives shape the church?español
- RelatedTheological Education Can’t Catch Up to Global Church GrowthUnless seminaries leave the ivory tower for local leaders in the public square. Like these ones have.
- Editor's PickMost US Pastors Use Armed Congregants as Church SecurityWith shootings on the rise, more churches are dropping no-firearms policies and turning to gun-carriers in their flock, survey finds.