The former archbishop of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio succeeded Pope Benedict XVI following his retirement in early 2013. Pope Francis represents many firsts for the Catholic Church, including the first pope from the Americas, the first from the Jesuit tradition, and the first to take the name Francis, after St. Francis of Assisi.
Why Pope Francis Excites (Most) Evangelical Leaders
Bergoglio expected to focus on poverty and set a friendlier tone in Protestant-Catholic relations.
- The Russell Moore ShowEpisode 37|48minRoss Douthat on American Religion and Where Martin Luther was Right and WrongThe New York Times columnist talks popes, power, and politics.Russell Moore|
- Pope Francis in Bahrain: A Royal Reminder of Religious ‘Freedom of Choice’The pontiff esteemed the welcome given to Christian migrants in the Gulf’s island kingdom, while discreetly calling for wider application.Jayson Casper|
- Beyond Pope’s Apology, Indigenous Christians Carve Own Path to HealingRecovering languages and contextualizing theology help Canada's First Nations communities reconcile faith and culture after residential schools made them "hate the name of Jesus."Isabel Ong|
- India’s First Lay Martyr Fought the Caste System. Now He’s a Saint.Pope Francis has canonized Devasahayam, a convert from upper caste Hinduism to Christianity.Surinder Kaur|
- Evangelicals Endorse Unprecedented Ecumenical Plea for the EnvironmentAhead of a UN climate summit, Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican leaders jointly promote a “Season of Creation.”Jayson Casper|简体中文繁體中文
- Evangelicals Ask Pope Francis to Help Save LebanonVisiting the Vatican for a Christian summit, leaders explain why the problems of sectarian politics have become unbearable.Jayson Casper|
- Beat, Pray, Give: Catholics Want More Done for Persecuted ChristiansSurvey finds surge in US concern for the global church in need, in run-up to Pope Francis’ visit to Iraq.Jayson Casper|
- At Mosul Church, Pope Asks Iraq’s Christians to Forgive ISIS and RebuildFrancis’ personal visit to damaged churches in Nineveh Plains caps historic trip.Nicole Winfield and Samya Kullab - The Associated Press|
- Pope Francis Secures Favorable Fatwa for Iraq’s ChristiansA short history of Shiite Islam explains why the pope made peace with Grand Ayatollah Sistani, yet Iranian rival and Sunni extremists don’t accept Muslim leader’s authority.Jayson Casper|
- Iraq’s Evangelicals Use Pope Francis’s Visit to Press for EqualityHistoric papal trip seeks peace between Christians and Muslims. Unregistered evangelicals say peace between Iraq’s Christians is needed first.Jayson Casper|