Selected • Michael Lindsay, as president of Gordon College in Wenham, Massachusetts. Lindsay, 39, is a noted sociologist at Rice University and author of Faith in the Halls of Power.
Resigned • Barry Minkow, 'Fraudbuster' pastor of Community Bible Church in Mira Mesa, California, in March after agreeing to plead guilty to insider trading.
Died • B. N. Nathanson, abortion doctor turned pro-life activist, in February at his home in New York City. He was 84.
Died • William Stuntz, Harvard criminal law professor and evangelical legal scholar, on March 15 at his home in Belmont, Massachusetts. He was 52.
Elected • Tom Eliff, as president of the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Appointed • *Lynne Hybels, to President Obama's faith-based council. Leith Anderson, president of the NAE, has also been added.
Died • Don Butler, co-founder of the Gospel Music Association, in February at his home in Tennessee. He was 80.
Named • Jim Towey, as president of Ave Maria University in Florida.
Died • Morris Ashcraft, longtime Baptist educator who helped launch a seminary for SBC moderates, on January 29. He was 88.
Elected • Keith Herron As the moderator-elect for the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.
Died • Oeita Bottorff, a moderate player in the Southern Baptist Convention's inerrancy battle in the 1980s, in February after a fight with Alzheimer's. She was 87.
Died • Robert Crowley, former trustee of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, in February. He was 80.
*Editor's Note: A correction has been made to the headline and article. Kay Warren has not been appointed to President Obama's faith-based council. Michael Lindsay will become president of Gordon College.
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See Christianity Today's news section and liveblog for more news updates.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineEve’s Legacy Is Both Sin and RedemptionThe first woman tried to get free of God. But when she aligned herself with God’s purposes, she became the ‘Mother of All the Living.’
- Editor's PickA Tale of Two New York City PastorsOne formed me. The other entertained me.