Named • Scott Macdonald, CEO of Zondervan, on May 4. Macdonald, pastpresident of Lemstone Christian Stores,was general manager of the publisher's church management software unit, The City.
Sworn In • Suzan Johnson Cook, as U.S. ambassador-at-large for international religious freedom, on May 16. The position had been vacant for more than two years.
Named • Jerry Rankin, director of the Zwemer Center for Muslim Studies at Columbia International University, on May 6. The former International Mission Board president replaces Warren Larson, who will retire in 2012.
Died • Ray H. Hughes, former general overseer of the Church of God and three-time president of Lee College, on April 4 in Cleveland, Ohio. He was 87.
Elected • Rudi Zimmer, as chairman of the board of the 147-member United Bible Societies, on May 17. Zimmer was executive director of the Bible Society of Brazil.
Died • Carl Stam, founding director of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary's Institute for Worship, on May 1 in Louisville, Kentucky. He was 58.
Retired • Russell Richey and Brooks Holifield, from Emory University's Candler School of Theology, as dean and professor of church history, respectively.
Died • Richard Brogan, Baptist race relations pioneer, on April 25 in Jackson, Mississippi. He was 73.
Died • "Columbus" Ed Vick, Associated Baptist Press writer and prominent Baptist lay leader, on May 13 in Raleigh, North Carolina. He was 76.
Died • James Pleitz, Baptist pastor and denominational statesmen, on May 15 in Pensacola, Florida.
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See Christianity Today's news section and liveblog for more news updates.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingDon’t Pretend the Ugandan Homosexuality Law Is ChristianNot everything that’s a sin is a crime—let alone one punishable by death.Français简体中文繁體中文
- From the MagazineEve’s Legacy Is Both Sin and RedemptionThe first woman tried to get free of God. But when she aligned herself with God’s purposes, she became the ‘Mother of All the Living.’
- Editor's PickPCA’s 50th Anniversary Comes During a Season of GriefPresbyterians expect less fight and more fatigue as they gather following the Covenant shooting and the deaths of Harry Reeder and Tim Keller.