1993 | Rated R
directed by Steven Spielberg
Spielberg's magnum opus tells the true story of Oskar Schindler, a greedy German industrialist who, though he had plotted to make a fortune from the war, ended up saving the lives of thousands of Jews at great personal cost.
2008 | Unrated
directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky
A Jewish forger is arrested and dragged to a Nazi prison camp, where his expertise is used to advance a secret counterfeiting operation. He faces a moral dilemma: whether to play it safe and aid the Germans or risk rebelling with his fellow prisoners.
Life Is Beautiful
1998 | Rated PG-13
directed by Roberto Benigni
This poignant Italian drama follows a father and son imprisoned in a concentration camp. The father tries to keep his young son's spirits high by convincing him that their plight is merely a game in which the first person to reach 1,000 points wins a tank
The Hiding Place
1975 | Unrated
directed by James F. Collier
Adapted from Corrie ten Boom's autobiography, the film follows a devout family as they incarnate the love of Christ by risking their lives to hide Jews in their Holland home.
2002 | Rated R
directed by Roman Polanski
This raw character study about Jewish concert pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman shows how he survived the invasion of Poland. Anchored by Adrien Brody's sincere performance, it speaks volumes about the power of art and human resilience in the face of unfathomable horrors.
Copyright © 2010 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- RelatedThe 50 Countries Where It’s Most Dangerous to Follow Jesus in 2021Latest report on Christian persecution finds 3 in 4 martyrs are in Nigeria, ranked among 10 worst persecutors for first time.españolPortuguêsالعربيةFrançais简体中文한국어DeutschIndonesian繁體中文русскийcatalàGalego
- Editor's PickGen Z Christians Want Leaders to Keep It RealThat means dropping the façade and admitting their own struggles.