- Muslim extremists are suspected of murdering eight members of a Christian family November 18 in their northern Pakistan home in the city of Nowshera. The father, Sabir John Bhatti, 70, had conducted regular Christian healing meetings that attracted Muslims seeking cures for ailments. Most of the murdered had their throats slashed by knives. Other victims included Bhatti's 65-year-old wife, Ruth; their daughter; daughter-in-law; and four grandchildren, including a six-month-old infant. Muslim radicals have been emboldened by recent proposals to implement Islamic law (CT, Dec. 7, 1998, p. 22).
- Militant Hindus are suspected of murdering 34-year-old Vasu Sritharan, pastor of Canaan Fellowship Church in Jaffna, Sri Lanka, on November 5. Sritharan, who had a successful 13-year outreach to Hindus in the northern Sri Lankan city, had been threatened with death in a phone call a week earlier. Police say three unidentified men entered Sritharan's bedroom after he had gone to sleep and slit his throat.
- Elmer V. Thompson, 97, founder of West Indies Mission (now called World Team), died October 20 in Columbia, South Carolina. His missions career spanned more than 60 years, including 20 years as a missionary in Cuba and 18 years as general director of West Indies Mission.
Copyright © 1999 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
This article is from the January 11 1999 issue.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Already a subscriber? Log In
January 11 1999
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- Editor's PickLiberty Appoints Retired General, Air Force Chaplain as New PresidentAlumnus Dondi E. Costin steps in to lead years after Jerry Falwell Jr.’s scandal.