William and Catherine Booth: Recommended Resources
The Booths soon after their 1855 marriage.
About the Booths
General Booth by G. S. Railton (London: The Salvation Army, 1912).
* Bread for My Neighbour: The Social Influence of William Booth by Frederick Coutts (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1978).
* Catherine Booth by Catherine Bramwell-Booth (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1970).
* The General Next to God by Richard Collier (London: Collins, 1965).
God’s Soldier: General William Booth, 2 vols., by S. J. Ervine (London: Heineman, 1934).
The Life of Catherine Booth, 2 vols., by Frederick de L. Booth-Tucker (New York: Revell, 1892).
The Life of General William Booth, 2 vols., by H. Begbie (New York: Macmillan, 1920).
* War on Two Fronts: The Redemptive Theology of William Booth by Roger Green (Atlanta: The Salvation Army, 1989).
By the Booths
* Female Ministry: Or, Woman’s Right to Preach the Gospel by Catherine Booth (New York: The Salvation Army, 1975 [orig. 1859]).
* In Darkest England and the Way Out by William Booth (London: Charles Knight, 1970 [orig. 1890]).
* Purity of Heart by William Booth (London: The Salvation Army, 1902).
* William & Catherine with Love] excerpts from their correspondence] by B. McCaughey (Toronto: The Salvation Army, 1989).
* Writings of Catherine Booth, 6 vols. (Atlanta: The Salvation Army, 1988).
About the Salvation Army
* Bibliography of Salvation Army Literature in English (1865–1987) by R. G. Moyles (New York: The Edwin Mellen Press, 1988).
* Christianity in Action by Henry Gariepy (Wheaton: Victor Books, 1990).
* Heralds of Victory: A History of the New York Staff Band, 1887–1987 by Ronald W. Holz (New York: The Salvation Army, 1987).
* History of the Salvation Army, Vol. 1–6 by Robert Sandall, Arch Wiggins, and Frederick Coutts (New York: The Salvation Army, 1979) [orig. London: 1947–73].
* History of the Salvation Army, Vol. 7 by John Coutts (Atlanta: The Salvation Army, 1988).
* Marching to Glory: The History of The Salvation Army in the United States, 1880–1980 by E. H. McKinley (Atlanta: The Salvation Army, 1980).
* No Discharge in This War: A One-Volume History of the Salvation Army by Frederick Coutts (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1975).
The Salvation Army: A Pictorial Record by Charlotte Horridge (available for $10, prepaid, from Ammonite Books, 58 Coopers Rise, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 2NJ, U.K.).
The Salvation Army: An Anglo-American Revivalist Social Mission by Norman H. Murdoch (Ann Arbor: University Microfilms, 1985).
The Salvationists by John Coutts (London: Mowbrays, 1977).
Write to The Salvation Army, Trade Department, at one of the following territorial headquarters:
Eastern Territory, 120 West 14th Street, New York, NY 10011.
Central Territory, 860 North Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60610.
Southern Territory, 1424 Northeast Expressway, Atlanta, GA 3032–2088.
Western Territory, 30840 Hawthorne Blvd., Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90274.
Copyright © 1990 by the author or Christianity Today/Christian History magazine.
Click here for reprint information on Christian History.
Support Our Work
Subscribe to CT for less than $4.25/month