Jesus died a single man. Paul encouraged his Corinthian readers to “stay unmarried, as I do.” For centuries of church history, monastic Christians understood celibacy as core to the life of holiness. And in the 21st century—when demographic shifts in the 21st century have upended the cultural script of marriage and family as a given—many young Christians are either choosing singleness as a testament of faith, or learning to live faithfully within it despite their desire to marry.
Evangelical assumptions about singleness still need rethinking
How to stop thinking of singleness as a problem.
Every Older Singles' Battle
With Singled Out, Christine Colón imagines what celibacy might look like for today's evangelicals.
- What Singleness Reveals about the World to ComeUnmarried Christians can live as signposts of the new creation.Português简体中文繁體中文
- Where Ya From?Episode 40|34minCelebrating Women’s VoicesHear from our guests about how it all starts with using what God has given you in this very specific moment.
- Tell Me Your Beliefs on Sex Without Telling Me Your Beliefs on SexOver time, our embodied lives reliably reveal the stories and myths that shape us.
- We Still Need the Nuclear FamilyMarried parents and their kids have a calling that needs to be expanded, not obliterated.
- Single, Evangelical Women Are Counting the Cost of Staying in ChurchA sociologist explores some of the factors driving them away, but her “accrued resentments” get in the way of a fair picture.
- Adam’s Aloneness Wasn’t Just His SinglehoodThe Bible points to a deeper truth—that it is not good for us to be isolated from community.简体中文繁體中文
- Do Single Christians Need a Better Theology of Singleness, or Better Relationship Training?As two recent books demonstrate, the answer is both—together. (And not only for singles.)Português
- Viral JesusEpisode 28|51minThe Faith of Black Women with Truth’s TableEkemini Uwan and Michelle Higgins on navigating life, love, and truth.
- Side B Christians Like Me Are An Asset Not a ThreatSame-sex-attracted believers pay the cost of discipleship every day. Our witness needs to be heard.
- Singleness Lessons I Learned from the Early ChurchThe history of Christian celibacy is more complicated than we’d like to think.español简体中文繁體中文