From verbal harassment to hanging, persecution for professing faith in Christ is as old as Christianity itself, often comingling with ethnic violence and geo-political conflict. In the 20th century, Christians in formerly Communist countries went underground with their faith, eventually gaining support and advocacy from missionary Brother Andrew and his Open Doors USA. Today the nonprofit compiles an annual list of the world’s worst persecutors of Christians; Muslim countries with stringent Shari’ah law comprise 8 of the top 10 worst.
- 5 Books About Contemporary Christian MartyrsChosen by Jerry Pattengale, coauthor of “The New Book of Christian Martyrs: The Heroes of Our Faith from the First Century to the 21st Century.”
- 22,000 Indian Christians Peacefully Protest Rising Persecution at Historic Delhi GatheringLeaders demand the government crack down on violence against the church: “We are not asking for anything out of the ordinary.”
- Open Doors Gets Dragged into Germany’s Debate Over Christian PersecutionA far-right party introduced a motion to establish an “International Day Against the Persecution of Christians” and cited the advocacy organization’s data.
- Terrorist Attack on Congolese Church Prompts Plea for Christian AdvocacyISIS affiliate strikes Pentecostal baptismal service amid longstanding conflict in Central African region rich in natural resources.Français
- Recant or Leave: Mobs Expel Christians in Central IndiaHindu extremists in Chhattisgarh destroy churches and homes and attack tribal believers.
- Afghan Christians Are Very OnlineAs Taliban increases restrictions on women and minorities, enterprising ministries offer seminaries and sermons where there are no churches.简体中文繁體中文
- US Branch Splits from Open Doors InternationalOpen Doors USA is now Global Christian Relief, but there is little indication of what led to the break.
- Christians Respond to Nationalists’ Call to Boycott Christmas in ChinaChinese believers reflect on the relationship between faith and culture and rethink their seasonal evangelism.简体中文繁體中文
- US Commission ‘Outraged’ By Omitted Offenders of Religious FreedomUSCIRF protests Nigeria and India not being included among nations added to State Department’s list of Countries of Particular Concern.