Father's Day is celebrated throughout the world on different days, with different histories and traditions. But the American holiday, the third Sunday of June, has its origins in the church. In 1908, Grace Golden Clayton organized the first Father's Day celebration in a Methodist church in Fairmont, West Virginia, to memorialize men killed in a local mining disaster. Today it serves as a time to reflect on the role dads play in their children's lives and, in many churches, the Fatherhood of God.
Fatherhood on the Rebound
What we can learn from the real history of basketball.
The Power of a Father's Blessing
What former NFL pro Bill Glass has learned after 36 years of prison ministry.
The Smiling Grandfather Clock
On Father's Day, the Holy Ghost helped me finally connect the dots and glimpse God's character.
- I Was the Mole in a Family of MalletsHow God rescued me from a life of getting whacked.
- The Struggles of Men Are a Problem for EveryoneFrom school and work to fatherhood and friendship, we need a vision of manhood that both sexes can celebrate.Português
- 5 Books on the History of Christian Parenting in AmericaChosen by David P. Setran, author of “Christian Parenting: Wisdom and Perspectives from American History.”
- If God Is Your Father, You Have Seven MothersHis care and compassion come from a surprising variety of sources.
- 4 Post-Roe Policies Worth Pushing ForSupporting unborn children requires more than government, but not less.
- God Wanted Me When the Foster-Care System Didn’tI bounced from home to home before finding the Father my heart yearned for.español
- The Last Gift My Father Gave MeA surprising encounter with my dad, Jesus, and Jerry Seinfeld opened a door to long-awaited healing.
- Joseph’s Simplicity Was Actually Spiritual MaturityGod entrusted his only Son to a man who could not provide as his culture expected.PortuguêsFrançais简体中文한국어Indonesian繁體中文
- I Wasn’t ‘Tough’ Enough for My Street-Fighting Family. God Showed Me I Didn’t Have to Be.How a quiet, bookish kid came to faith while living among rageaholics.Français
- New and Noteworthy BooksCompiled by Matt Reynolds.