In the 1990s, assisted suicide and euthanasia were among evangelicals’ top social concerns. Michigan’s Dr. Jack Kevorkian participated in more than three dozen assisted suicides, the state of Oregon passed its Death with Dignity Act in 1994, and several other states considered similar measures. The Supreme Court upheld Oregon’s law in 2006. The issue may not attract as much political heat as it once did, but its implications loom large for every family with aging or ailing members.
Deadly Compassion (Part 1 of 3)
Some support physician-assisted suicide out of fear of a lonely, pain-filled death. Here are four professionals who are making the dying a part of the church's ministry.
ARTICLE: Is Death a Right?
What begins as a right can soon become an obligation.
Killing with Kindness
Why is the church against euthanasia in instances where people are in terrible pain?
- Job’s Wife Urged Him to ‘Curse God and Die.’ Caregivers Get It.It’s not necessary to condone her exhortations to curse God. But we should seek to understand them.Français
- Canada Euthanized 10,000 People in 2021. Has Death Lost Its Sting?Here’s what I’ve learned as a Christian doctor receiving requests for physician-assisted dying.Indonesian
- We’re Not Mad Enough at DeathDying is a fact of life. It’s also the enemy we’re called to resist.Português
- New HHS Rule Protects Pro-Life Health Care WorkersUPDATE: Under Trump, federal policy keeps shifting away from abortion rights in favor of religious conscience protections.
- Almost No One in the US Believes in a ‘Consistent Ethic of Life’Pope Francis’ critique of President Trump would apply to 96 percent of Americans, surveys suggest.
- The Beginning of Dementia Isn’t the End of GraceHow the church can come to the aid of sufferers and their loved ones.
- Opposition to Assisted Suicide Dies OutMost Americans, including 4 in 10 evangelicals, want doctors to help terminally ill patients end their lives.
- The Precarious Future of Assisted Suicide'Culture of Death' sounds the alarm on pending medical bioethics legislation and other troubling trends.
- When Prolonging Life Means Prolonging SufferingA trauma surgeon on when letting go of our loved ones is the most God-honoring thing we can do.
- Assisted Suicide and Real Death with DignityAdvocates say that choosing when we die is a fundamental right. My late husband thought otherwise.