Subscribe to this Podcast:
What does hope look like for the American church as political polarization sparks division and many evangelicals are leaving the pews? It might be found in the words of the British “Poet for ‘Bruised Evangelicals,’” Malcolm Guite. The poet, priest, singer-songwriter, and professor joined Russell to talk about truth, imagination, and illumination.
Guite and Moore discuss how they know the Christian story is true, depictions of the gospel in art, and what it means to learn to love. They talk about the power of stories and imagination. Moore asks Guite to share his thoughts on the transfiguration passage in the New Testament, which Guite explores in his book Lifting the Veil. And they talk about how to begin reading poetry for those who don’t know where to start.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Kara Bettis for Christianity Today, “A Poet for ‘Bruised Evangelicals’”
- C. S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Weight of Glory
- J. R. R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
- Gustaf Aulen, Christus Victor
- Malcolm Guite:Lifting the Veil, Faith, Hope and Poetry, The Christian Plummet, and Amen
- The Trinity Forum, “Online Conversation | Waiting on the Word with Malcolm Guite”
- Richard Hooker,A Learned and Comfortable Sermon of the Certainty and Perpetuity of Faith in the Elect
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineEve’s Legacy Is Both Sin and RedemptionThe first woman tried to get free of God. But when she aligned herself with God’s purposes, she became the ‘Mother of All the Living.’
- RelatedDarwin’s Dirty Secret Lives OnA recent book on evolutionary theory fails to reckon with the social side of natural selection.
- Editor's PickWorship Music Is Emotionally Manipulative. Do You Trust the Leader Plucking the Strings?The Spirit is at work, but so are the mechanisms around high-production sets.