On June 19, 2023, the United States of America will celebrate its newest federal holiday: Juneteenth, which marks the anniversary of some slaves in Texas being told that they were free. But this is far from the first time that Juneteenth, which today’s guest refers to as “a second Independence Day,” has been celebrated.
During this episode of The Russell Moore Show, Justin Giboney shares his memories of celebrating Juneteenth. Drawing on his expertise as a political strategist, attorney, and cofounder of the And Campaign, Giboney speaks to the history and cultural narratives regarding systemic injustice in America. He and Moore discuss civil rights, the Black church, and the Christian witness in the public square. And they consider how believers in Jesus can engage in political spaces.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- And Campaign
- How I Got Over video series by the And Campaign
- The Church Politics Podcast
- Charlie Dates
Prior work on Juneteenth at Christianity Today includes:
- “For Christians, Juneteenth Is a Time of Jubilee” by Rasool Berry
- “Why Juneteenth Should Matter to the Church” a webinar featuring Rasool Berry, Lisa Fields, Carey H. Latimore. Michelle Ami Reyes, and Russell Moore
- “Juneteenth: A Truer Independence Day” by Bonnie Kristian
- “Juneteenth Was an Answer to Centuries of Prayer” by Eric Washington
- “Juneteenth with Historian Carey Latimore” Where Ya From? Episode 28
- “Juneteenth is a Chance to Rethink Our Gun Culture” by Edward-Richard Hinds
Sail the Nile with Christianity Today’s Russell Moore. Click here to learn more.
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton