Subscribe to this Podcast:
Just one in three of today’s pastors say that they are healthy. By 2050, less than half of the US population may identify as Christian. At the same time, 61 percent of millennials who attended church before the pandemic still worship with the same congregation. Not only that, but Barna recently found that young people—specifically Generation Z—are uniquely open to learning about Jesus.
It’s within this good news–bad news cultural context that Russell Moore and producer Ashley Hales answer listener questions about church membership, church hurt, and pastoral ministry. The listener questions covered in this episode include:
- How should someone evaluate their desire to attend seminary?
- What factors should someone consider when looking for a church to join?
- How can congregants practice discernment around church hurt and abuse, specifically if a church is being investigated?
- How have pastors embroiled in public scandals incriminated fellow pastors? And how can the non-culpable pastors (and their loved ones) respond?
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- “Modeling the Future of Religion in America,” Pew Research Center
- “38% of U.S. Pastors Have Thought About Quitting Full-Time Ministry in the Past Year,” Barna
- “A New Chapter in Millennial Church Attendance,” Barna
- “Rising Spiritual Openness in America,” Barna
Do you have a question for Russell Moore? Send it to email@example.com.
Ashley Hales is the producer of The Russell Moore Show, founder of Willowbrae Institute, and an author. Find out more at aahales.com.
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineWhen Politics Saved 25 Million LivesTwenty years ago, Republicans, Democrats, evangelicals, gay activists, and African leaders joined forces to combat AIDS. Will their legacy survive today’s partisanship?
- RelatedDied: Tim Keller, New York City Pastor Who Modeled Winsome Witness“We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.”españolPortuguêsFrançais简体中文한국어Indonesian繁體中文русскийУкраїнська日本語
- Editor's PickWorship Music Is Emotionally Manipulative. Do You Trust the Leader Plucking the Strings?The Spirit is at work, but so are the mechanisms around high-production sets.