Elisabeth Elliot’s inspirational accounts of her husband’s death as a missionary in Ecuador in the 1950s, Through the Gates of Splendor and Shadow of the Almighty, became evangelical staples. Elliot went on to write about faith and womanhood and hosted a Christian radio show. After years of suffering from dementia, she died in 2015 at age 88.
Missionary Pioneer Elisabeth Elliot Passes Through Gates of Splendor
Books by widow of martyred Jim Elliot were staples in many evangelical homes.
Elisabeth Elliot's Strong Views Were Not About Women Only
Swimming against the stream is always hard. An interview with Elisabeth Elliot.
Interview by Harold Lindsell and Harold Myra|
- From the Archives: Elisabeth Elliot’s DevotionalsA selection of the late author’s CT publications.The editors|
- Elisabeth Elliot’s Lost ManuscriptWhile searching through old files, radio producers at Back to the Bible discovered an unpublished work written by the late missionary pioneer.Michelle Van Loon|
- Wheaton’s New Jim Elliot Plaque Does More Than Remove ‘Savage’The revised memorial takes a longer view at the well-known story of the missionaries killed by the Waorani.Megan Fowler|
- Wheaton Pulls Jim Elliot Missionary Plaque to Reword ‘Savage’ DescriptionThe college plans to update the inscription to “reflect the full dignity” of the Waorani tribe.Megan Fowler|
- A New Set of Spotlights on Elisabeth ElliotWhat we learn about her life and work from two releases of previously unpublished writings.Lucy S. R. Austen|
- Missionary Opponents Misunderstand the Waorani Mission. So Do Evangelicals.Some revere Jim Elliot and his friends as martyrs. Others revile them as oppressors. Both sides have an incomplete picture.Jay Riley Case|
- Noteworthy Deaths of 2015: Elisabeth Elliot, Robert Schuller, Andrae Crouch, and MoreHere are the Christian leaders lost last year that CT readers mourned most.Morgan Lee|
- Farewell to the Missionary HeroHow candid confessions of failure and frustration found their way into stories from the field.Amy Peterson|
- What Elisabeth Elliot Taught Me about LongingFor this 21st-century single, her ‘Passion and Purity’ has stood the test of time.Anna Broadway|