In 2014, after more than a decade of tremendous growth and ministry, Seattle’s Mars Hill Church imploded with the resignation of its lead pastor, Mark Driscoll. The church and its charismatic founder had a promising start, but the perils of power, conflict, and Christian celebrity eroded and eventually shipwrecked both the preacher and his multimillion-dollar platform. Mark is known as the firebrand “cussing pastor” whose ministry of breaking conventions called men and women to transformation and whose rebellion touched a nerve with those inside and outside the church.
The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 1|1 hrWho Killed Mars Hill?
Almost overnight, after 18 years of ministry, Mars Hill Church closed its doors. The first episode of our new podcast asks who’s to blame.
Mark Driscoll Addresses Crude Comments Made Trolling as 'William Wallace II'
Mars Hill pastor says 14-year-old posts were 'plain wrong' and he 'remain[s] embarrassed,' but 'I have changed.'
Love him or hate him, Mark Driscoll is helping people meet Jesus in one of America's least-churched cities.
The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 2|54minBoomers, The Big Sort, and Really, Really Big Churches
Post-war suburban church expansion charted a course that Mars Hill would follow.
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 19|40minEpilogue: A Return to SeattleWhen the road home leads to sadness, can you hope to find more there?Mike Cosper |
- Christian Celebrity Isn’t a Problem to Fix, But an Eye to Gouge OutKatelyn Beaty’s critique of evangelical fame-worship is wise but overly tame.Jake Meador|
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 18|49minBonus Episode: A Conversation with Dan AllenderMike Cosper talks with Dan Allender about his early interactions with Mark Driscoll and the very different paths of ministry they chose to pursue in the city of Seattle.Mike Cosper |
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 17|57minBonus Episode: Healing and Resurrection After Spiritual TraumaA conversation with Aundi Kolber about why we need the word “trauma,” what is meant by it, and how we grow in its aftermath.
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 16|1 hr 2minBonus Episode: A Conversation with Tim KellerMike Cosper sits down with Tim Keller for reflections on leadership, the trouble with networks, and the essential need for communion with God.Mike Cosper |
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 15|53minBonus Episode: Everything Is Still Falling ApartMike Cosper|
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 14|44minPaint the Beauty We Split: A Conversation With Chad GardnerOn this bonus episode of The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill, we talk to Kings Kaleidoscope's Chad Gardner about faith and music before and after Mars Hill.
- Why the Mars Hill Podcast Kept You Waiting“Rise and Fall” producer Mike Cosper takes listeners backstage to answer questions about production delays, his personal experience, and more.Interview by Stefani McDade|Português简体中文繁體中文
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 12|2 hrs 31minAftermathWhat happens to your faith when your church is torn apart?Mike Cosper|
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 11|2 hrs 35minThe TempestIt wasn’t one thing that ended Mars Hill. It was one thing after another, after another, after another…Mike Cosper|