Style: Toe-tapping pop/rock; compare to John Mellencamp, The Byrds, Bob Dylan
Top tracks: "God Is Love," "We Live by Faith," "Get in the Boat"
David Brauner was first inspired to pick up a guitar when he first heard the music of fellow New Jersey native Bruce Springsteen, and he brings an old-school, classic rock sound to this ear-pleasing project. The title track, an upbeat ditty accompanied by the jangly guitars of The Byrds and Roger McGuinn, includes a simple chorus that would work well in corporate worship. "We Live by Faith" is a Johnny Cash-like rockabilly tune reminding listeners that "faith'll move mountains," and "Get in the Boat" is a countrified call-and-response comparing the aquatic adventures of Jesus (in the sea of Galilee) and Noah (in the sea of, well, the whole world). Brauner's voice sounds like a cross between Mellencamp and Dylan, and his lyrics are sometimes trite, but the music is full of smiles. (All proceeds benefit Brauner's home church, San Diego's Westminster Presbyterian.)
Copyright © 2012 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- Editor's PickPresbyterian School Mourns 6 Dead in Nashville ShootingVictims include the head of school and the 9-year-old daughter of the church’s lead pastor.español