Mars Hill Church (Seattle)
When Mars Hill Church was planted in Seattle in 1996, few would have imagined where it would lead. But in the next 18 years, it would become one of the largest, fastest-growing, and most influential churches in the United States. Controversy plagued the church, though, due in no small part to the lightning-rod personality at its helm: Mark Driscoll. In 2014, after more than a decade of tremendous growth and ministry, Mars Hill Church imploded with Driscoll’s resignation. Once a hub for those disenfranchised with cultural Christianity, Mars Hill’s characteristic “punk rock spirit” became its downfall as power, fame, and spiritual trauma invaded the ministry. But how did things fall apart? Where did Mark Driscoll take a wrong turn? Who could be held responsible for the hurt and disillusionment that resulted?
- The Bulletin Episode 15|53minSlopes Keep On Slippin’ Slippin’ Slippin’Fox News faces depositions, Scott Adams cries cancel culture, and the SBC boots Saddleback.
- The Slow WorkEpisode 5|37minSinners and Saints and Sacks of Meat with Mike CosperOur complex stories invite us into confessional living with one another and with God.
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 19|40minEpilogue: A Return to SeattleWhen the road home leads to sadness, can you hope to find more there?
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 17|57minBonus Episode: Healing and Resurrection After Spiritual TraumaA conversation with Aundi Kolber about why we need the word “trauma,” what is meant by it, and how we grow in its aftermath.
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 16|1 hr 2minBonus Episode: A Conversation with Tim KellerMike Cosper sits down with Tim Keller for reflections on leadership, the trouble with networks, and the essential need for communion with God.
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 14|44minPaint the Beauty We Split: A Conversation With Chad GardnerOn this bonus episode of The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill, we talk to Kings Kaleidoscope's Chad Gardner about faith and music before and after Mars Hill.
- The Rise and Fall of Mars HillEpisode 13|1 hr 2minCT Reports on ItselfWill you tell the truth about yourself when it’s embarrassing to do so?
- Don’t Make the Church Leadership Crisis WorseWe need to renew our spiritual imaginations amid the spiritual-abuse reckoning.Indonesian
- Wanted: Church Planters. Reward: $50,000.Q&A with Acts 29 president Matt Chandler on assessing narcissists, the challenge of COVID-19, and new opportunities for vibrant churches.