Decades after Christian artists first started rapping about Jesus, 21st-century rappers such as Lecrae and Shai Linne lead a growing genre of "holy hip-hop." Their lyrics proclaim the gospel through a music style long known for addressing raw truths and the fallen state of society. Christianity Today's May 2013 cover story explored the Reformed theology of hip-hop music.
How Christian hip-hop could call the American church back to the gospel—and hip-hop back to its roots.
Hip-Hop Theologians and Preachers
The artists most shaping the movement.
- Where Ya From?Episode 43|29minBetween the Church House and the Trap House with 1K PhewThe Reach Records rapper on his music, its message, and reconciling who he is inside and outside of church walls.
- Meet the Christian Rap Duo from ‘Reservation Dogs’Hip hop artists Lil Mike and Funny Bone got their start performing at churches. Now they’re acting on FX’s critically acclaimed television series.
- Where Ya From?Episode 25Following God When You’re Exhausted featuring Trip LeeHow God’s plans for our lives are greater than anyone—including ourselves—can ever anticipate.
- Where Ya From?Episode 24Finding God and Finding Your People with TedashiiHow to trust that God will provide us with people and purpose when we’re feeling our loneliest.
- Where Ya From?Episode 22|37minThe First Lady of Reach Records with WandeWhen working towards your dreams, it’s easy to crave control.
- Katy Perry’s ‘Dark Horse’ Prevails Over Christian Rapper’s LawsuitUPDATE: The pop star and her team no longer have to pay $2.8 million in damages in the copyright case.
- Hillsong Atlanta Launches Sunday Services With Hip Hop and Gospel WorshipSam Collier, Hillsong’s first African American senior pastor, calls for revival in the birthplace of civil rights.
- DMX Bared His Sins and Soul to Make His Music a TestimonyHow the life and lyrics of the late rapper challenge our notions of sanctification and struggle.
- Lecrae’s Coronavirus Quarantine: TikTok, Homeless Outreach, and a New SingleSharing a message of restoration, the popular rapper reminds fans, “Social distancing doesn’t mean spiritual distancing.”
- What Kanye West’s Sunday Service Taught Me About GraceWhen I visited Kanye's Sunday Service, I was met by contradiction, a mix of characters, and a spiritual lesson.