Style: Funky gospel fun; compare to Da' T.R.U.T.H., tobyMac, Kirk Franklin
Top tracks: "I Need You," "He Understands," "We Are the City"
Freddy Washington has spent enough time behind the scenes—producing and writing tracks for Da' T.R.U.T.H. and Melinda Watts—that it should come as little surprise that his debut solo venture is a solidly packed, stylistically diverse double CD set. There are far more hits than misses on The Jesus Album, with his biggest successes coming when he leans on his gospel roots. Those tracks in particular find some deep, body-moving grooves perfect for stuck-in-traffic air drumming or bringing the congregation to its feet. Granted, this could have been whittled down to a tight single CD collection, but Washington maintains a great flow throughout, making even the lesser songs go down smooth.
Copyright © 2012 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- Editor's PickPresbyterian School Mourns 6 Dead in Nashville ShootingVictims include the head of school and the 9-year-old daughter of the church’s lead pastor.español