2. States adopt 80 abortion restrictions in their 2011 legislative sessions, an all-time high (the previous record was 34).
4. John Stott, evangelical statesman, pastor, and builder of the global church, dies at 90.
5. Beijing's Shouwang Church holds outdoor services for more than six months, enduring mass arrests as it leads China's booming house churches in unprecedented demands for religious freedom.
6. HarperCollins, which already owns Zondervan, buys Thomas Nelson; it now has about 50 percent of the Christian book market.
10. The PC(USA) votes to allow noncelibate gay pastors, prompting defections from presbyteries. (Meanwhile, the United Methodists hold the line on same-sex unions amid a planned clergy revolt.)
Copyright © 2012 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Click here to download a PDF of this article.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.