1. Sex Scandal Fells NAE President Ted Haggard
Shocking admissions of immorality from New Life Church pastor shake evangelical world. Debate ensues over direction of nae and the temptations of high-profile ministry.
2. Israel Invades Lebanon
Hezbollah incursions across the Israeli border trigger a bold military response. Christian voices from Lebanon plead for prayers and protest.
3. Court Decisions Favor Traditional Marriage
State court decisions across the country shift momentum in debate over same-sex marriage. However, New Jersey Supreme Court requires legislature to allow for either same-sex marriage or civil unions.
4. Muslims Riot over Pope's Comments
West shocked by response to Pope Benedict XVI's Regensburg address on faith and reason.
5. Religious Left Declares Victory in Midterm Election
Democrats ride gains among frequent churchgoers and Catholics to take control of House and Senate.
6. Violence Sends Christians Packing from Iraq
Small Christian community shrinks further as sectarian attacks worsen.
7. Southern Baptists Crack Down on Tongues
After the International Mission Board in 2005 banned missionaries from praying in tongues, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary bars professors or administrators from endorsing charismatic practices.
8. Immigration Debate Splits Evangelicals
Advocates swap proof texts on welcoming the stranger and obeying civil authorities as Congress debates illegal immigration.
9. Ministry Leaders Sign Evangelical Climate Initiative
Observers say global warming debate signifies broadening political agenda.
10. Christians Flock to See The Da Vinci Code
Engagement trumps boycott as phenomenon peaks with boffo box office.
Copyright © 2007 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.