"Christianity has deep convictions about what is true, but I don't think Christians should impose themselves on people. My greatest concern is theocracy."
Charles W. Colson
Source: The New York Times Magazine
"The goal of avoiding governmental endorsement does not require eradication of all religious symbols in the public realm."
Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in the plurality opinion in Salazar v. Buono. The opinion reverses a lower court's ruling to remove a memorial cross from the Mojave National Preserve.
Source: U.S. Supreme Court
"We are encouraging our church members to take care of their community by buying locally. This is an ethical purpose that is beyond profit."
Charles Adams, pastor of Hartford Memorial Baptist Church in Detroit, which teamed with General Motors in inviting churchgoers to test-drive new cars after Sunday services.
Source: Detroit Free Press
"This stems from a desire to maintain an ecological balance, preserve water quality, and revive fishing."
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, on the country's fishing ban in the Sea of Galilee for two years.
"I can't believe I'm saying this—don't have sex …. It's not really cool any more to have sex all the time."
Lady Gaga, eccentric singer.
Source: Daily Mail (UK)
Copyright © 2010 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See Christianity Today's news section and liveblog for more news updates.
Earlier Quotation Marks columns are available from May 2010, April 2010, March 2010, February 2010, January 2010, December 2009, November 2009, October 2009, September 2009, August 2009, July 2009, June 2009, May 2009, April 2009, March 2009, February 2009, and earlier issues of Christianity Today.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingA Tale of Two New York City PastorsOne formed me. The other entertained me.
- From the MagazineOur Worship Is Turning Praise into Secular ProfitWith corporate consolidation in worship music, more entities are invested in the songs sung on Sunday mornings. How will their financial incentives shape the church?español
- Editor's PickThe Spiritual Battle of Teen Screen TimeKids’ addictions to their phones isn’t a legislative issue. It’s a discipleship one.