If you want to learn more about the He Gets Us campaign, or access the resources to bring joy to your church, check out the free kit.
It’s easy to forget that Jesus knew how to have fun. While his ministry was, at times, filled with sorrow and suffering, bright moments of celebration were also a regular occurrence. In fact, Jesus went to so many weddings, parties, and dinners that the Pharisees accused him of being “a glutton and a drunkard.”
Jesus’ life exuded deep joy, and “Good Times,” the latest nationwide ad from He Gets Us, puts that delight on full display. This inspiring message encourages pastors and church leaders to embrace and share the joyous side of Jesus with their congregations.
The Justification for Joy
The Bible is full of passages that speak to God’s desire and design for joy in our lives. The Psalms exhort us to "make a joyful noise to the Lord" (Psalm 100:1), and Paul instructs us to "always rejoice in the Lord" (Philippians 4:4). But the He Gets Us campaign recognizes that joy isn’t some dated biblical concept– it remains essential for every person, church, and community.
As ministers consider the health of their congregations, now more than ever they will likely see why the joy and love of Jesus are desperately needed. The world is rife with conflict and division. People are hurting. Mental health is in a precarious place. But, as He Gets Us reminds us, the joy that Jesus once embodied and now offers does not avoid these truths, but rather it engages them with hope. And so can our churches.
Joy isn’t dependent on circumstances but instead a belief rooted in the truth of who God is. Just as Jesus found his deepest joy in relationships, so too can we as we spend time with others, serve with kindness, and cultivate community.
The latest He Gets Us ad recognizes that joy does not dismiss the darkness nor ignore suffering. Instead, it speaks straight to the heart, reminding us that we are made in the image of a God who knows both great sorrow and blissful, unadulterated joy.
Practical Ways to Embrace the Good Times
As church leaders look to Jesus as an example, they see that Jesus’ joy allowed him the freedom to be devoted, compassionate, and forgiving. Take a look at five ways that churches can embody that same love.
1. Foster a culture of celebration. Encourage regular gatherings and services that celebrate the joys and accomplishments of individuals within the church community. Birthdays, anniversaries, and other significant milestones are perfect opportunities to express gratitude and share in the happiness of others.
2. Plan joyful social events. Organize outings, picnics, and community activities that promote social interaction and create an atmosphere of fun and fellowship. These events provide opportunities for people to forge deeper connections and experience the joy of togetherness. Joy is contagious, attractive, and an opportunity to share the true source of hope and love. With this heart posture, communities are encouraged and lives are changed.
3. Infuse humor and storytelling. Incorporate appropriate humor and engaging storytelling into your sermons and teachings. Laughter has the power to break down barriers, connect emotionally, and make biblical truths more relatable. Encourage your congregation to find joy in their spiritual journey by using humor as a tool for connection and understanding.
4. Emphasize the value of rest and leisure. Remind your congregation of the importance of self-care and taking time for recreation. Encourage them to pursue hobbies, engage in activities they enjoy, and spend quality time with loved ones. By prioritizing rest and leisure, individuals can experience rejuvenation and find joy in the simple pleasures of life.
5. Create spaces for fellowship. Designate areas within your church facility where people can gather, connect, and enjoy each other's company. Whether it's a cozy coffee corner or a welcoming courtyard, these spaces encourage meaningful conversations, laughter, and the forging of deep friendships.
Embracing the joyful side of Jesus can have a transformative impact on your church and community. It allows you to create environments where love, laughter, and celebration thrive. To learn more about how you can integrate the themes of joy and good times into your church's ministry, explore the free He Gets Us “Good Times” kit.
The “Good Times” kit is full of resources, including the ad video for download, a sermon outline, a discussion guide, social media content, and a prayer series that can inspire and guide you in spreading the joy of Jesus within your congregation and beyond.
“Part of our hope with the ‘Good Times’ campaign is to get people thinking about how we can cultivate a similar attitude of joy that Jesus had,” explains the He Gets Us team. “Jesus displays joy evidently and radically, making it an easy example for people to recognize and emulate.”
As pastors and church leaders, we have the privilege and responsibility to reveal the joyous side of Jesus to our communities. Through intentionality and care, we can cultivate an atmosphere where the love of Christ is tangibly felt. Let us embrace the good times and embark on a journey of joy, transforming lives and shining the light of Christ in a world that so desperately needs it. If you’re interested in learning more about the He Gets Us campaign, or access the resources to bring joy to your church, check out the free kit.