Patriotism and Nationalism
- A Tale of Two Books, One Podcast, and the Contest over Christian NationalismAnswering Stephen Wolfe’s arguments for blood, soil, and sedition.
- Fewer Churches Put Patriotism on Display for July 4Though two-thirds are OK with flying the flag year-round, pastors have become more divided over Independence Day celebrations since 2016.
- A Patriotism of Compassion, Not Pomp and GloryRichard Mouw reflects on the moral and spiritual work of loving your country.
- Is There a Wholesome Alternative to Christian Nationalism?Paul Miller’s critique of political idolatry is persuasive. His defense of patriotic civil religion, less so.Português
- Of Orphanages and ArmiesMy Russian-born son enlisting reminded me of my identity in Christ.
- Do Flags Belong in Churches? Pastors Around the World Weigh In.Christian cases for yes, no, and flying other nations’ flags as congregations balance love of God, neighbor, and country.
- America Has Tried Three ‘Narratives of Belonging.’ None Worked as Planned.How a sober look at failed projects of nationalism can help Christians envision a better way.
- We Can Reach Conspiracy Theorists for Christ. Here’s How.God rescued me from a conspiracy theory and terrorism, and he can save others as well.
- At Its Best, American Patriotism Is Blessed with Two-Dimensional VisionA healthy love of country looks backward and forward, recognizes triumphs and failures, and flows from the head and the heart alike.
- Independence Day Calls Us to the Holy Work of RepairOur flag symbolizes the beauty of American ideals and the brokenness of our history.