Though hell (and, moreover, the thought of eternal condemnation) has always sparked controversy, Rob Bell’s recent book Love Wins reignited the debate. Is hell a real place? Will God really send people there to burn for all eternity? Will they be wiped out of existence forever? Though it’s a difficult, sensitive topic to address, it’s one that as Christians we must discuss; after all, Jesus talked about hell more than anyone else in the New Testament.
Undying Worm, Unquenchable Fire
What is hell—eternal torment or annihilation? A look at the Evangelical Alliance's The Nature of Hell.
Hell's Final Enigma
Won't heaven's joy be spoiled by our awareness of unsaved loved ones in hell?
Heaven, Hell, and Rob Bell: Putting the Pastor in Context
He's not the first to try to resolve old biblical tensions in new ways.
- From the Archives: Views on UniversalismA selection of CT articles about the eternal fate of humankind.
- I Don’t Want to Be a UniversalistRichard Mouw says the best forms of the doctrine still disappoint those counting on God to do the right thing.Português
- No, Religious Freedom Doesn’t Send People to HellWhy Christians should support our government staying out of religious affairs.español
- The Russell Moore ShowEpisode 10|46minListener Questions on Insurrection, Hellfire, Climate Change, and More...Russell Moore responds to your questions.
- Heaven and Hell: Americans Answer 20 Questions on Who Goes and What HappensPew’s afterlife survey also asks 6,500 people about universalism, reincarnation, fate, answered prayer, and interacting with the dead.
- Christ Suffered for Our Sins, but He Didn’t Go to Hell for ThemA theologian explores what did (and didn’t) happen on Holy Saturday.
- How Universalism, ‘the Opiate of the Theologians,’ Went MainstreamMichael McClymond decries the rising popularity of an idea Christians have rejected for most of church history.
- Who Worries About Hell the MostBaylor researcher: “If you believe in a harsher form of hell, you’re pretty sure you’re not going there.”
- Kevin DeYoung: Stop Feeling So Good About the Sixth CommandmentYou and I have a murder problem, even if we're 100-percent murder-free.
- Wrestling with EternityFor many, predestination is a struggle to accept; for Paul, it’s a doctrine of love.