Church discipline conjures images of witch trials and inquisitions, but, practiced with humility and the goal of restoration, it should be a regular practice of the church. As the visible body of Christ on earth, the church is to be holy as God is holy. But moving toward a more disciplined church involves many issues in a day when it's impossible to know who's who in a 5,000-member church, or when a church risks lawsuits for disciplining members.
How Discipline Died
The church should stop taking its cues from the state.
Our Uniquely Undisciplined Moment
Formal accountability has been a core part of church life from its earliest days.
What do you do when your pastor--or your entire denomination--strays?
- Grace Community Church Rejected Elder’s Calls to ‘Do Justice’ in Abuse CaseWhile a former leader hopes for change, women who sought refuge in biblical counseling at John MacArthur’s church say they feared discipline for seeking safety from their abusive marriages.españolPortuguêsFrançais简体中文繁體中文
- Two Congregations Force LGBT Debate on Evangelical Covenant ChurchCan human sexuality be a nonessential issue for a denomination that seeks to “stand in the center”?
- Stop Applauding Pastors Who Publicly Confess Their SinsWhen leaders admit wrongdoing, we should respond with quiet sobriety, not clapping.简体中文繁體中文
- Matt Chandler Steps Aside After Inappropriate Online RelationshipElders at The Village Church said Instagram direct messages “revealed something unhealthy.”
- Court Dismisses Suit Against Platt’s McLean Bible ChurchWhile the DC-area congregation celebrates getting to move forward, critics continue to accuse leadership of a liberal takeover.
- SBC Task Force Asks for ‘Ministry Check’ Website, Other Reforms to Stop Sexual AbuseChurches and state conventions would not be required to use resources.
- Are We Missing the Point of Matthew 18?It’s about more than church discipline. It’s about flourishing community.españolFrançais
- Hillsong Church Founder Brian Houston Resigns(UPDATED) Top leader of global ministry leaves shortly after megachurch revealed a pair of investigations around inappropriate behavior.
- The Christian Peacemaker Who Left a Trail of TraumaJudy Dabler built a career helping reconcile conflict within ministries including RZIM and Mars Hill. But a new investigation says she abused her authority to protect those with power.