Subscribe to this Podcast:
In today’s episode Heather visits with one of her favorite theologians, Joel Muddamalle, for a fast-paced conversation about God’s original vision for the church and how we often miss it. Joel unpacks what it means to be ambassadors for Christ in a fragmented world; he cautions us against letting social media divide our souls; and he reminds us that ethnic and cultural diversity in the church is a beautiful feature, not a bug. One of the big points Joel touches on is what he calls our commitment to “the sacred-and-secular divide.” What does it mean to be set apart as Christians, and what is our role in secular spaces? Joel’s biblically rooted perspectives will inform, surprise, and challenge you to delve deeper into God’s Word. (This is the second conversation in our three-part series that began with “What You May Be Getting Wrong About Biblical Womanhood.”)
We also visit with our favorite social media whiz Brady Shearer for this week’s #Blessed. He gives us a breakdown of the difference between the social graph algorithm vs. the discovery algorithm and why he believes we all need to ride whatever wave social platforms present us with. Brady is the director of Pro Church Tools and the church-software platform Nucleus. His work focuses on helping churches navigate the biggest communication shift in 500 years. Make sure to let us know your thoughts about this segment by typing in ViralJesusPod on Instagram or Twitter and including #Blessed with your comment.
Joel Muddamalle serves as the director of theology and research for Proverbs 31 Ministries and Lysa TerKeurst. He’s also a member of the preaching team at Transformation Church with Pastor Derwin Gray. Joel earned a PhD in theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, under professors Patrick Schreiner (NT) and Michael Heiser (OT), with an emphasis on Paul’s household language in Ephesians as it relates to the Old Testament. He loves studying and teaching the brilliant truths found in Scripture and unpacking how they relate to our everyday lives.
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of eight books, including I’ll See You Tomorrow and It’s Not Your Turn. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Producer: Loren Joseph
Associate Producer: Azurae Phelps
Mix Engineer: Alex Carter
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- RelatedCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- Editor's PickGen Z Christians Want Leaders to Keep It RealThat means dropping the façade and admitting their own struggles.