Subscribe to this Podcast:
In the second episode of Viral Jesus season 3, Heather discusses on #Blessed the latest news out of The Village Church about Matt Chandler stepping down for a leave of absence due to an inappropriate relationship with a woman who wasn’t his wife in his DM’s on Instagram. Heather and Seth discuss the concept of what is appropriate and inappropriate behavior for married people in the DM’s. If you have thoughts on this please @ViralJesusPod on Instagram or Twitter and let us know.
In her conversation with author Katelyn Beaty, Heather listens to Katelyn explain the problems that arise when celebrity pastors experience some type of major failure. How do we help hold them accountable? How do we help people who feel their trust has been deeply abused by the covering up of abuse at their church institution? What does celebrity look like, and how does it function in churches? Should there be a thing such as Christian celebrities?
Heather and Katelyn want you to heal from toxic celebrity church culture, and maybe the best way to do that, is to admit what has gone wrong.
Katelyn Beaty is a journalist, editor, and keen observer of trends in the American church. She has written for the New York Times, the New Yorker, the Washington Post, Religion News Service, Religion & Politics, and The Atlantic and has commented on faith and culture for CNN, ABC, and NPR. She is also a former editor for Christianity Today magazine. She is cohost of the Saved by the City podcast (Religion News Service) and she’s the author of Celebrities for Jesus: How Personas, Platforms, and Profits Are Hurting the Church.
Mentioned in This Episode
Matt Chandler Steps Aside After Inappropriate Online Relationship
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of eight books, including, I'll See You Tomorrow, releasing in October, and It’s Not Your Turn. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Producer: Loren Joseph
Associate Producer: Azurae Phelps
Mix Engineer: Alex Carter
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedBeth Moore: When I Was a Stranger in the SBC, Anglicans Welcomed MeHow the acclaimed Bible teacher found a new church home.
- Editor's PickPresbyterian School Mourns 6 Dead in Nashville ShootingVictims include the head of school and the 9-year-old daughter of the church’s lead pastor.español