Welcome to the first episode of the two-part Losing Our Religion special series finale. This episode and the one to follow were recorded at a special live event with Bible teacher and author Beth Moore and Russell Moore in Houston on August 9, 2023.
Beth and Russell gathered with hundreds in person and thousands online for a discussion of Russell’s new book, Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America. They shared the story of their friendship and the similarities in their Southern Baptist upbringings. Beth asks Russell a series of "getting to know you" questions about his family of origin, marriage, children, and ministry. They spoke to the loss and disruption of ultimately leaving the SBC and the ways their ministries have affected their families.
Tune in for thoughts on not giving up on people who are deconstructing, walking by faith, and honesty with God. Beth and Russell’s discussion covers shifts in evangelical Christianity, how politics is asked to bear a weight it cannot support, and our common desire for belonging.
Make sure you check out the next episode, which features Beth and Russell answering questions from the live audience!
This special series of episodes around Russell Moore’s newest book, Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America, explores the Christian faith in confusing times. Check out the other episodes in the series:
- "Losing Our Religion and Russell Moore’s Hope"
- "Losing Our Religion: Evangelical Imagination with Karen Swallow Prior"
- "Losing Our Religion: Revival with Jackie Hill Perry"
- "Losing Our Religion: Credibility Gaps with Sam Allberry"
- "Losing Our Religion: David Brooks on the Allure of Tribalism"
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America by Russell Moore
- Living Proof Ministries
- The Woodland’s Methodist Church
- The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention (ERLC)
- The Boys from Biloxiby John Grisham
- Melissa Moore
- Kat Armstrong
- The University of Southern Mississippi
- New Orleans Baptist Seminary
- The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Johnny Cash
- Waylon Jennings
- The After Party
- Brandon Lake
- Baptist Hymnal
- Twila Paris
- Travis Cottrell
- Amy Grant
- Houston’s First Baptist Church
- Eudora Welty
- Marilynn Robinson
- Walker Percy
- Frederick Buechner
- Why It’s OK to Ignore Politics by Christopher Freeman
- High Conflict: Why We Get Trapped and How We Get Out by Amanda Ripley
Grab a copy of Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical Americahere!
Do you have a question for Russell Moore? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Audio engineering by Dan Phelps
Video producer: Abby Egan
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton